Translate

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thanks to everyone for the continued likes and #sharing. I appreciate the #support! Let me know if there is something in particular you’re interested in. Winter will be kind of slow with planting until around January/February but I hope to keep busy with learning everything I can to improve next year’s #garden and harvest. I hope everyone is having a great week! Sorry I haven’t been around much. Lots of changes at home the past two weeks with one of my own finally flying the nest and then both me and my daughter heading back to school. New dynamics in the house and new schedules outside to adjust to. My plans for fall/winter gardening? I’d like to build at least one poly tunnel and see how long I can keep stuff growing. Might help keep that dang critter out of my beans too :( Whatever it is has expanded it’s palate to include sweet potato leaves, green beans and red kidney bean leaves, pumpkin leaves, cucumber leaves and cantaloupe leaves. I’m hoping the kale I moved from a container to out front will pick up once the weather stays a bit cooler. About 2 weeks after I moved it we got a sudden hot spell for a couple of days and it seemed to cringe in fear. On the up side of that heatwave, my tomatoes started to ripen finally :) Yesterday’s #harvest was about 8 lbs of #tomatoes along with a baby #pumpkin (which I gave to my Grand Niece the other baby pumpkin!) and a couple of #cucumbers and a good 2 lbs or so of #Cubanelle #peppers and 3 heads of #cabbage. Sorry, didn’t get any pictures of my full basket. I almost couldn’t lift it! One of the smaller heads I cut up and put into jars to ferment into living #sauerkraut. Hopefully my kitchen is warm enough to get it going. I also have an EM culture for #bokashi compost started which I actually need to process into the second stage this weekend. It’s a bit overdue like most things around here this month. I’m hoping to be able to use bokashi with my #vermicompost systems and have a supercharged compost/worm castings next year. It’s almost time to harvest the sweet potatoes. Don’t remember exactly when they went into the ground but thinking I have about another two weeks. I might dig around a little this weekend and see what I can see :) My fear is I dug too deep in loosening the soil and will be digging to China to harvest my taters lol. #gardening #squarefootgarden #sfg #organic #homegrown #growyourown

from Natural Jersey Girl

via Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment